1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PaulScott, Dec 20, 2012.

1. PaulScott

PaulScott Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    I'm looking for 4 Barred Rock Hens for my empty 100 x 100 ft Run , Heated/cooled coop
    I live in Alexander County NC 28678
    if anyone close or has any ideas please let me know , I cant buy online .

Thank you so much for reading

PS if this is the wrong place please move it to the right place .. i looked and could not figure out this weird new forum design

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe the Buy-Sell-Trade section is the best place for this.

Glad to have NC people on BYC!!!

When you say you can't buy online, does that mean use your credit card online? Because you can always search on craigslist for people selling laying hens, and then do the transaction in person. I see Barred Rocks on there a lot.

If you want some really nice quality birds, you can look for breeders of heritage Barred Rocks that are close to you here on BYC on the Plymouth Rock thread. You can also just search the Buy Sell Trade section for Barred Rocks.

Hope this helps.

3. my sunwolf

Oops, I see you already posted in craigslist. Did you see this guy?

Edit: And here's another, though these chickens look a little ragged, might be sick.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    the first guy wants $40 per hen witch i think is way to high
    and the second one has never responded back

thank you for your time in looking and the info

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The second don't even look pure.

I would ask at least $20 a hen. $15 for production type. If you want cheap, chicks are your best way to go.

6. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    My Friend here is the south or in NC $40 for a hen it better be a blue ribbon winner :D
    even $20 is pretty pricey
    I only picked Barred rocks because Ive heard such wounder full things about them there quite dosial , and that there seldom brooders (i have a silkie that will sit on and raise a cinder block if you placed it under her :D ) if i ever wanted to raise any
    Id be happy with just about any simular breed , but i do like the look of the Barred rocks
    . im bacicaly looking for hens that are easy going , and on the quite side, and NOT flightly . with a good egg per feed rate

7. aoxa

Barred Rocks are great birds.

By the time it takes to get to POL they would have eaten at least $10 worth of feed. + cost of chick. It takes more time and money than you can imagine to raise birds to that point.

A blue ribbon winning barred rock will go for much more than $40.

8. my sunwolf

Not sure how new you are to chickens! So I'll just give all the advice and you can take what you want...

Since you live down here, I'd look into red sex-links, aka Red Stars, Golden Comets, Red Shavers if you just want layers, they're really easy to find. They have okay egg to feed conversation (not great but not terrible), they do good being penned up or ranged, they're really friendly (mine love to be petted and picked up), and you can usually find adult laying hens or started pullets in the spring for $8-$10. Guess it depends how far you can drive. Some of them are quiet and some of them are loud, but mine are a lot quieter than my friends' hatchery Barred Rocks (and mine lay better too). I got my 4 girls from a really great guy on craigslist, but one of them was sick and he didn't know it, so I'd suggest always inspecting your birds for: clean fluffy butts, no watery eyes or noses, bright eyes, smooth legs, red combs and wattles, mites and lice around the vent area.

Do you have a local feed or supply store? Mine hosts a livestock exchange almost every Saturday from spring through fall where you can buy laying hens. You could also go to a livestock auction, but my experience with the birds there has been that they're often sick. If you buy as chicks, they're less likely to come with diseases and you get a clean slate.

9. aoxa

I love my RSL hens. They lay like vending machines, but are spent much quicker than the BR. Their friendliness is very similar and temperament is similar as well.

Though their appearance is boring to some. I like the look of them. All of mine are named Penny (I have 17 of them).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But there is just SOMETHING about the barred rocks....

I sell my mixed breeds for $10- $15 for girls. Boys are eaten.
    I have barred Easter Eggers too.

1 person likes this.
  10. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    Well to just Laying chickens im new . i raised Games for about 15 years untill 3 years ago and i got rid of them all
    yea any of those would be fine from the right person , i did find some red sex linked , but they was all so unhealthy i did not want to deal with it . . thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by