Barred roo killed want suggestions on replacement breed.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoweBow, Apr 21, 2012.

1. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    My sons 3 month old Barred Rock Roo was killed by a dog today and he's wanting a replacement. It got me thinking of what breed may be a good match for our young mixed flock.

We have 5 red sex link that have been laying for about 7 weeks now.
    He has 2-3month old Barred Rock Pullets
    and 3-11 week old Buff Orp pullets.

I'd like to find some options on what breed roo may be a good cross with the above selection. I think this would also help ease my son Jared's loss.

I've located some 3 month old Barred Rock roo's, but would like to weigh his options.

Thanks
    Mike

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Orpington roosters are large but gentle.I have several and they are all sweet. Our big lavender orp rooster tries to mother all the babies including kittens and ducks. He clucks to them, protects them, and feeds them lol. I have seen him sitting and letting chicks get up under his wings. He loves when chicks are hatching and acts like he has ants in his pants pacing around the nestboxes waiting for the momma to finally bring the babies out.
    I used to keep barred rock roos and none were mean but have heard some other people say they had bad tempered ones. My pure ameraucana roosters are all super sweet but they will fly up on you if you don't pick them up and pet them lol so maybe too much for a young child.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    I took my son over to a see the 4 Barred Roo's that were advertised on CL and he picked one out and brought it home. He picked out the most doscile of the group.
    The lady there was telling us she's had alot of luck w/ Orp roo's also. If this one doesn't work out that may be the route we go next.

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by