Barred Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5RIR5BR, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 5RIR5BR

5RIR5BR New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    So we had a little oops.... We thought we seperated are Roos and hens early enough... Long story short we ended up hatching 9 eggs. The mom was a barred rock and the dad I believe is a brown leghorn. Anyway they hatched nov 8. As far as I can tell The ones that look like barred rock are all males. Their combs are significantly larger and the birds themselves are quite a bit larger. The 3 smaller ones that I believe are female are all black and their combs are still really small. I can't post a pic today but I can try to do it tomorrow. But can anyone tell me from just my description if you think I am right in my chicks genders?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    You are likley correct. All barred would be males and non barred females. Brown Leghorn rooster over Barred Rocks would produce sex-linked chicks. Chicks born with a white head spot would be male. Barring is passed from the mother to the sons.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Your most likely right. I will check back tomorrow to see pictures.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, you made nice sex link chicks. Most any solid/non-barred roo over a barred hen will give you sex link chicks. The males hatch with a white head spot and turn out barred, the females have solid heads at hatch and the color when they're grown will depend on what the father was, usually black with red or gold color on the neck/throat/chest.

Those pullets should be very nice layers for you in the spring, you'll probably get huge light brown eggs from them.

1 person likes this.
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    x2

6. 5RIR5BR

5RIR5BR New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Can you explain what sex linked chicks are? I am unfamiliar with this term.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, kind of what I already posted lol.
    A solid or non-barred rooster over a barred hen gives what's called black sex links. The barred hen gives the barring gene to her male offspring only, not to her female. The non barred roo has no barring gene to pass on to either gender. So, the male chicks get one copy of the barring gene, the females none. A chick with the barring gene hatches with a white or cream colored spot on the head. So, the color is linked to the sex of the chick and you're able to sex them at hatch. If you really want to get into different ways to make sex links, go the the breeds/genetics section and look for the thread by tadkerson, it's full of good information.

8. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by