Barred Rooster + buff EE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cook_kaka_ook, Dec 25, 2009.

1. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    1. BR Rooster + buff EE = egg color?
    2. BR Rooster + buff EE = will hen be the same color as barred? if so what color will be the eggs?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not an expert but I will express my understanding.

The BR will contribute genes for brown eggs. The EE may contribute genes for blue, green, or brown. I think green eggs are a combination of genes for brown and blue eggs. It could be any of these from the EE. The genes for the blue or green egg seems to follow with the genes for the comb. If the chick has a pea comb, then there is a pretty good chance she inherited some genes for the blue or green eggs. Bottom line, I don't think you can predict with any accuaracy until you see the type of comb on the chick, and even then it is uncertain.

I understand there are different ways to make the buff color so there might be something else at play here, but I would expect the offspring of a BR and Buff EE to be the same pattern and color as the father. I think the hens may be a bit darker, but still the same pattern and color. If you cross the offspring of this match, the original BR and Buff EE pair's grandchildren could be any mix of barred or wheaten pattern in white, lemon, gold, buff, maybe more, or a black unicolor. But that is the second generation. The first generation should look a lot like the father in this match.

3. cook_kaka_ook

Oct 29, 2009
    Very enlightening. Will they produce a bearded BR color offspring? It will be having a bearded BR roo roaming around the yard.
    Thank you Ridgerunner.

4. cook_kaka_ook

Oct 29, 2009
    Very enlightening. Will they produce a bearded BR color offspring? It will be neat having a bearded BR roo roaming around the yard.
    Thank you Ridgerunner.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I am doing just that with my bantam barred rock and bantam black Ameraucana. I believe all the chicks will be barred from your mating.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All will have some semblance of barring, but it may be subtle on some of the chicks. I have two BR over true Ameraucana, bred here. One is blue barred, one is black barred, different BR fathers but same mother. The blue barred girl's sister had no beard or muffs and showed some barring, mostly in the hackles, but she was a beautiful dark blue. Blue barred girl, Riley, has yellow skin, her sister had white. Both my black barred girl, Panda, and Riley lay green eggs, but their mother is a blue Ameraucana who lays blue eggs, not an EE.

This girl was sold, but this is one of the last pics I had of Riley's sister:

[​IMG]

Here is Riley with her black brother as babies:

[​IMG]

Here is Riley now:

[​IMG]

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Here are just some of my new Barred EE''s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cook_kaka_ook

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks Cynthia and Crested Crazy for sharing the photos of you pretty looking birds. Wow! so even the color of their feet is noticeably changed even at the early age. It's and indication that they will be EE. Will egg production be lesser then than that of a purebred BR now that the outcome is an EE?

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I don't see why it would since my EE's lay great.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My EEs are some of my very best layers. When most others had quit, I usually had green eggs in the collection basket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by