Barred Sizzles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pamperedpoultry, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

[​IMG] well I started a barred sizzle project and have gotten some really good first gen barred roo's and one barred hen.. Haven't seen any other barred sizzles so if anyone has any pics feel free to post.. I just moves all my pens and got rid of some breeds goin to focus mainly on sizzles, D'uccles, Serama and my call ducks.. Sold out of all my other breeds. As soon as I get a chance I will post some pic's of mine.

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just started with sizzles. I have f1 eggs in the incubator from my blue splash silkie X blue splash frazzle cochin and white silkie X white frizzle cochin and some sizzle eggs from emvickrey. Would love to see pics of your barred sizzles. Also there is sizzles breeders list on the hatcheries and breeders forum for those who breed and raise the sizzles and for those looking for sizzle breeders. Hope you will join it.
    Thanks

3. pamperedpoultry

Have to check that out.. I stay so busy in the summer dont have much time to get on here but my days start to slow down this time of the year, I will have to get some pic's soon.

4. risingstarpoultry

risingstarpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I have third generation barred pymouth rock frizzled bantams .sorry no pictures right now.

5. pamperedpoultry

been awhile but i finally got some pic's of my first gen barred sizzles

frizzled hen
    [​IMG]
    and smooth roo and hen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:they are geneticaly barred...But phenotypicaly Cuckoo...[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:they are geneticaly barred...But phenotypicaly Cuckoo...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pamperedpoultry

Sorry if this sounds stupid.. Im genetic -impared expain that please? lol I started with a black sizzle and a barred bantam cochin?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:let me try..

Barring is a sex linked gene, meaning its location is on the Z sex chromozome..

a Barred bird has the barring gene(on copy if its a female B/- or two copies of its a rooster B/B)
    a Cuckoo(as in cuckoo maran) also has the barring gene.

have you seen how different they look? why? well the barring gene by itself can't make a clean "Barred" bird. other genes are at play, one of the the dominant slow feathering gene and some breeders have also found Columbian in them(Co/Co)..

below comparison of a cuckoo maran hen on the left and a barred rock bantam hen on the right, do you see how nice and sharp the barring is on the "Barred" hen is? that's the difference between Barred and Cuckoo.
    [​IMG]

10. pamperedpoultry

so in other words these need to be called cuckoo instead of barred correct? Thanks for explaining..[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by