1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Wheatens? Anyone have pictures?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Do barred/cuckoo wheaten birds exist in any breed?

Does anyone have photos? I'm just curious....

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

wheaten marans

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I should have been more clear. I'm looking for birds that are both barred and wheaten at the same time.

I'm guessing they would look similar to golden cuckoos or creles... I'm most curious what the hens would look like.

I'm working on a Wheaten Olive Egger project, and I thought I might throw in some barring for fun!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think you're right- crele would be similar- but more so for the males since it's that brown red color that only wheaten males have. Sounds interesting!

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    dom colored gamefowl. Most have a lot of white in them but you can find some that are bred to be pretty much a true barred wheaton. the cocks look like typical creles for the most part, the hens are buff barred in body with black and white barred tails. usually the body of the hens is so pale that it is hard to see much of the barring.

6. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have 1.5 wk old barred wheaton seramas not sure how they will look as adults[​IMG]

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Golden Cuckoo Marans can be wheaton based or black red based

[​IMG]

8. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I was reading that the Golden Cuckoos sometimes carry the Wheaten gene (genes?) but that isn't desirable due to the gold in the chest or something.

I'm guessing a Wheaten based bird wouldn't have so much black as the one in the photo.

Maybe I need Golden cuckoo's too!

9. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Some lines have wheaten mixed with black coppers that's how they just show up wheatens that is just like birchens show up in some Marans for sure they are a work in progress this spring I can help you with your addiction [​IMG] I like the barred/cuckoo pattern because you can sex them at birth I have silvers and goldens

10. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I do enjoy being able to sex them young. That's why I like Wheatens in the first place. Better to know at 3-4 weeks, especially since my final project birds will have pea combs, which aren't always much help in sexing.

Do the Golden Cuckoos lay darker than the Silver Cuckoos? I have one Silver, and she lays a pretty decent egg, when she chooses to bless me with one. She'll go months without laying. Good thing she's sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by