Barred X Black

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by reggiechristian96, Nov 29, 2011.

1. reggiechristian96

reggiechristian96 New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    What would i get if i bred a barred bantam cochin with a black bantam cochin?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:it depends, if you use a barred rooster, ALL of your chicks will be barred...

if you use a black rooster over a barred hen, just the boys will be barred.. hens will be black..

3. reggiechristian96

Jul 22, 2011
    So right now i have a breed rooster, if i but him with black/blue hens i will get barred?

What colors are best copatable, im just starting out, right now i have a black rooster, a barred rooster, a black hen, and a badly colored mottled hen.

Are barred's showable?

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if you are going to use your barred rooster.. then all of the chicks will be barred, if breed to the blue hen, then 50% will be barred and 50% blue barred

Quote:black is compatible with barred..

Quote:it depends with the type of breed you have, most breeds now have accepted barred..

what's the name of the breed you have?

5. reggiechristian96

Jul 22, 2011
    Quote:if you are going to use your barred rooster.. then all of the chicks will be barred, if breed to the blue hen, then 50% will be barred and 50% blue barred

Quote:black is compatible with barred..

Quote:it depends with the type of breed you have, most breeds now have accepted barred..

what's the name of the breed you have?

They are cochin bantams

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by