Barren hen

nazu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
One of my 3, 35 week old white wyandotte hens, Ruggy, has never laid an egg. The other 2 have been dependably laying for months, and although Ruggy acts like she's laying, sitting in the nest box, or the corner of the hen house, she comes out with nothing. She even sings the egg song on occasion. She's been doing this for 2 months. I've been told from a friend, that sometimes, when no rooster is around, a hen may take on that role, and never lay. I haven't heard that before and wonder if anyone out there has had this experience, or heard of this behavior.

Without a rooster some hens do take over the role of rooster, however, this does not stop them from laying eggs. She may be a late bloomer or hiding her eggs. Take a look at her vent. If it is moist like the other two hens, she is laying somewhere. If it is dry and puckered, she is not ready yet. Some hens do take a very long time to start laying.

One Of My Rir Do This As I Too Have No Rooster.... Out Of The Four I Usually Get 2-3 Eggs, When They're Not Molting... A Father At My Boys School Had About 30 Chickens As A Kid And Said It Was A Normal Thing That A Gal Steps Up And Plays That Role Of The Male....not Sure About The Lack Of Laying Though.... I'd Say Just Give Her Time And Watch Her?!

Back
Top Bottom