Barricading the coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greencow, Nov 24, 2013.

1. greencow

greencow Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    Hi!
    I'm going out of town this weekend with my dog, so my chickens are going to be very vulnerable to raccoons. I was hoping to get some last minute advice on how to protect my babies. We live in a neighbor hood, so the predator problem isn't as serious as others, but we do get our fair share of raccoons. I'm going to park their coop right next to my back door, on cement, so nothing can dig under. Raccoons here do willingly come up pretty close to houses though, so I'm really worried. We're putting a barbecue in front of the run door, and we're also going to get some new locks. In addition to keeping them out of the coop, does anyone also have advice on getting them to leave. I think the coop is pretty safe for like 5 minutes, but they might slowly work at getting through it somehow.
    Ps: I saw a raccoon last night pretty close to the coop for the first time (new to the whole chickenhood), so I'm worried it'll come back in the next few days, unless having a dog and human with a shovel chasing it scares it away for good!

2. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    electric fencing/netting keep coons away for me if you have the time to get it

3. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Make sure the coop is covered 100% in hardware cloth (not standard chicken netting). Raccoons will reach in to any available hole and pull a chicken out (or whatever portion of the chicken will squeeze through!), but they cant reach through hardware cloth. I know this from a few bad experiences. Raccoons are the worst.

4. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Oh, and putting a light on the coop seems to help.

5. greencow

May 25, 2013
    Alright, thanks for all the ideas and tips! Here's a finished product.. any constructive criticism welcome!

file://localhost/var/folders/v_/nvnwrxts2c52kkh49p5666y80000gn/T/Messages/Transfers/IMG_0791.JPG

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not a link.

7. greencow

May 25, 2013
    It used to work… oh well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by