1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barring, Blue, and Naked necks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CheekyMare, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I have a NN Barred Roo He has a Bowtie, so pretty certain only one copy of the NN gene. I put him in with an assortment of hens. Two frizzles, one white(maybe a white PR), one speckled black that lays green eggs, one black, and one brown hen with a blue tail. I'm trying to increase my NN population because they do so well in the heat here and have fewer feathers to pluck.

Are barred chickens black based and do I have a chance of any blues from the blue hen?

Because it's the roo that is barred all offspring will be barred or is it sex linked?

Because the roo is hetero for NN and not Homo then there is only a 50% chance of NN chicks right?

I also(prev hatch and I think different roo) have a chick that is blue and has the barring spot on the head. Does the spot on the head always indicate barring? How did I end up with a blue barred booted bantam? Or am I wrong and it's not barred?

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    yes barreds are based on black and chance of blues.

if the bowtie is big/has lots feathers it is het. there are a lot of hom NN with bowties, the number of feathers in bowtie is much smaller, you can count 'em easily and so the front lower neck is very visible. kind of like a bowtie vs a bib.

however barring on blues frequently are poorly defined.

for sex linking it has to be barred hen with non-barred roo so in this case it won't be sex linked. barreds in both boys and girls.

3. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a big bib. I had two NN hatch out last night from the first setting with a couple eggs to go. Hoping some are hens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by