barring gene for breeding question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chrischuck, Jan 26, 2013.

1. chrischuck

chrischuck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    hi guys im just about to start breeding with my gold campine cockerells the whole point in my breeding has to do with the barring genes,of my 3 cocks i have 1 who has no barring on his chest and parts of his wings has no barring.

my question is, although he has no baring on his chest does he still carry both barring genes and should i use him for breeding or not. thanks

2. chrischuck

Jun 23, 2012
    anyone [​IMG]

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Campines have what is called autosomal barring; this type of barring is not caused by the barring gene. Use the males that have the most barring. Cull the male with out barring on the chest etc.. This male is missing an allele or two- that is why he is not well barred- I would say he is missing a pattern gene if his chest is a golden base color. No picture so that is my best guess.

Tim

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. chrischuck

Jun 23, 2012
    thanks very much very informative i guesse hell have to go,im glad i asked before i started breeding with him but i did suspect he might not have been good enuff to breed with.i have another 1 who is pretty much perfect and 1 that is barred allover but the barring is darker on the back and wings ill get some pic when i get home at the weekend thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by