1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Barring inhibiting dermal melanin...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Svarthona, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Svarthona

Svarthona Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    From what I read it is supposed to do that... but how does the "inhibiting" actually look?
    I mean is it fully inhibiting the expression of dermal melanin or just partly?
    I have two barred pullets with kind of "blotchy" darkish spots in the umm "underlayer" of the skin on their shanks and feet ... and I´m hoping that that´s how id+ looks on a barred bird [​IMG]
    So it would be great if someone could explain to me how the inhibited id+ appears.

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Barring, like the Dermal Inhibitor I^d, is sex linked. Male being B/B have twice the inhibiting effect of hens that are B/-. Barred/cuckoo hens will always have more colour in the shanks than males.
    david

3. Svarthona

Svarthona Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    True, but when a male has two copies of the barring gene B/B and two copies of id/id I´d imagine that it should equal out to the same optics as on a hen who can just have one copy of each B/- and id/- [​IMG] no?
    And hmm since the barring gene is an "ON" gene and the id is an "OFF" gene an Id/id bird would not show dermal melanin anyways, regardless of B/B or B/b... but an B/b id/id rooster would probably show more dermal melanin than one with two copies, if that makes sense [​IMG] this is mindboggling. And still leaves me in the dark of how that should actually express on a bird.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Svarthöna :

From what I read it is supposed to do that... but how does the "inhibiting" actually look?
    I mean is it fully inhibiting the expression of dermal melanin or just partly?

guess it'll be something like this... note the black spots on the cockerel's face..

[​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Ok I'm not an expert but... this is my cuckoo silkie roo. instead of having all over black skin like he should he has mottled skin.
    [​IMG]
    he has spots on his comb he is also my avatar

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Due to the tight linkage between B & I^d they are invariably inherited together, thus the males are normally B/B I^d/I^d & hens B/- I^d/-.
    The odds of splitting B & I^d, and having them segregate is about 4000:1
    Good luck you will need to breed a lot of chicks.

7. [​IMG]
    Barred and partially inhibited.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. Svarthona

Svarthona Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Aww thanks a lot for all the answers and pictures [​IMG]

I have a barred hen with those spots on the wattles, too. And I had a B/b cockerel with the same spots last year, but we ate him ... yeah, *doh*. Anyways, the two pullets with the spotted feet are too young to have much of a comb or wattles, so I can´t say yet if they have spots there, too. The hen with the spots, like in the first two pics of nzpouter and muddyhorse, has plain white feet though. So I figured that may be Fm which is showing, without id...

My two pullets have feet exactly like Lisa's bird [​IMG] so it seems I can consider myself statistically lucky already. [​IMG]
    If they should ever stand still I´ll try getting a pic of them... but so far I got lots of shots with blurred parts of pullets or grass or other curious chickens trying to peck at the lens [​IMG]

Oh and not sure if that makes any genetic difference, but Fm and id are not from silkies in my flock. It´s from a phenotype Swedish black hen and my B/b rooster having similar spotted feet. And since this two pullets are the first two from his offspring which inherited those odd spotted feet I figured I´d finally ask if it indeed is what I thought it could be.

Thanks again for your help [​IMG] I guess I have a project plan now.

9. Svarthona

Svarthona Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Pictures...
    The best three pix after an afternoon in the grass photographing lots and lots of chicken feet [​IMG] I´m really glad nobody saw me.
    The bright sunshine kind of washed out half of the flecks.
    Both of them are almost 8 weeks old.
    Bird 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bird 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by