barring on an EE chick... probably a rooster?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LaSombra, Jan 8, 2010.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    I've got this new chick I've hatched out. "her" mother is an EE. The father is either an EE or a buff wyandotte. None of the possible parents have any kind of barring. "she" is about 10 days old now and the feathers on the wings look to be pretty well barred. They're not like a barred rock. It's brown and black and the brown has little specks of black on it. Is that true barring? Is it possibly something passed down from the mom and maybe indicates a little roo?

I understand if it's not possible to answer since EEs are such mutts anyway... If you need a pic, I'll snap one.

Thanks to anyone who can figure this out.

Jen

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We'll need a picture, I think.

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    It is autosomal barring caused by the Pattern gene on juvenile feather, it will either develop into a form of pencilling if it's a pullet, or disappear if a cockerel. Google Partridge Wyandottes to get a vague idea of what they could possibly develop into .
    david

4. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    well, here's a pic: [​IMG]

blackdotte, thanks for the input. It would be a relief if it were pencilled. The mother is pencilled. I just don't remember how her feathers looked at that age because I didn't know much at all about those things when I got her. The father doesn't have any kind of pattern.

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    It is pencilling caused by the Pattern gene, somewhat broken though.
    The males do not have a pencilling pattern when mature. I would say she has inherited Pg from her mother and is heterozygous for it.
    David

6. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:oohhh my little EE has almost that same pattern on her wings, except hers is in blacks and whites... will she end up penciled too?? maybe??
    i looked at partridge wyandote, and that would be awsome...

7. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Thanks for the help [​IMG] I feel better now. I was worried that maybe the barring would make her an automatic rooster. She's so spoiled and such a momma's girl right now, being my only chick from that batch. Now, I'll be hoping the pattern stays!

8. speckledhen

Barring doesn't make any bird an automatic rooster. I have two barred Easter Egger pullets (their sire is a BR, mother blue Ameraucana) Barred males pass barring to some degree to all their offspring.

9. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:well, but if none of the parents are barred, I would think that only 1 barring gene would get through and would only show if it were a male. Then again, I don't know hardly anything about all that. LOL I'm comparing it to color blindness in people.

10. speckledhen

My blue Orpington rooster carries a barring gene. He is not barred, though you can see light/dark/light bars in his sickle feathers. Paired with a RIR/Buff Orp hen, they produced a completely barred offspring (yes, that one was male) Birds can carry genes that do not express on the bird itself so the only way you really know what they carry is to breed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by