Barring still in there in RIR x Delaware cross?

Sparklee

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
If I cross a Rhode Island Red (Production Red, probably) rooster with a Delaware hen, will the offspring still retain the barring from the Delaware?

Will the white boys have ghost barring, or just barring around the neck and extremities? If I breed them at any time in the future as muts, will that barring be passed on to chicks in some manner?

Will the pullets have non-visible barring in their genetics?

Or does this mating remove all barring from the pullets to the point that they can't pass on any barring because they don't carry a recessive barring gene?

I appreciate your patience with my ignorance, breeding experts.
smile.png

A Delaware hen will pass on the barring gene to her sons, not her daughters. Unless reintroduced, the barring is forever lost through the female offspring.

This is a result of a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Delaware hen. The barring is passed on.

22249_rsl_roojpeg.jpg

This shows the offspring of the SS and Delaware. The boy is barred. The girl is not barred.

22249_bro_sis_del.jpg

This is some of his offspring from non-barred hens. Both have barring.

22249_barred_roos_13w.jpg

Last edited:
Delaware males may be mated to New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red females and produce chicks of the Delaware feather pattern.

Delaware females may be mated to New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red males, and sex-linked chicks result; the males have the Delaware pattern and the females have solid red feather pattern of the males (rooster). These day-old chick may be separated according to sexes by their color.

This is from the SOP for the Delaware breed. Now whether things are different in "production" birds i can't say.

Thanks to Ridgerunner and racher hicks. That explains it all very well. I appreciate the photos, too.

Quote:
x2. It will only be in the roosters. Thats the interesting thing about crossing with Delawares is you get both Red Sexlinkage and Black Sexlinkage. The red pullets and white roos from the Red Sexlinkage and the Barred hackles and tails in the males and non barred hackles and tails in the females. The males though will only carry one copy of barring though.

Quote:
x2. It will only be in the roosters. Thats the interesting thing about crossing with Delawares is you get both Red Sexlinkage and Black Sexlinkage. The red pullets and white roos from the Red Sexlinkage and the Barred hackles and tails in the males and non barred hackles and tails in the females. The males though will only carry one copy of barring though.

x3 only "black" sexlinks doesnt sound like the right name for them;)

Last edited:
Quote:

x3 only "black" sexlinks doesnt sound like the right name for them;)

Yep, they would be called red sexlinks but the black sexlinkage from sexlinked barring would be coming into play, just not sexable as chicks as you cant even see the color in the hackle and tail feathers as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom