Barrow County, GA / Freedom to Farm

GeorgiaLina

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2023
Hello! I’m in unincorporated Barrow County and the current county ordinance is no chickens unless you have over 5.0 acres.

I had heard some chatter that the Freedom to Farm bill passed by the state last year may have over ruled those types or ordinances?

Does anyone know? I have searched to death but can’t find anything…

Would be wonderful to not have to convince the county that a more reasonable lot size is in order :)

Hello! I’m in unincorporated Barrow County and the current county ordinance is no chickens unless you have over 5.0 acres.

I had heard some chatter that the Freedom to Farm bill passed by the state last year may have over ruled those types or ordinances?

Does anyone know? I have searched to death but can’t find anything…

Would be wonderful to not have to convince the county that a more reasonable lot size is in order :)
Read it here - Looks like it passed on the last day oif the Session, and was signed into law by the Gov April 13, taking effect May 26, 2022.

Like most "Freedom to Farm" laws nationally, it purports to protect existing, ongoing COMMERCIAL agricultural activities from suits sounding in nuisance brought by new property owners against existing commercial farming operations. It does NOT purport to displace existing zoning ordinances.

Search took 15 seconds. Reading took 2 minutes. That said, I've read quite a few of these, and knew what to look for - which also helped the search.

It might be that 5 acres is a reasonable size to still meet setback criteria. I did not read the ordinance, but locally most homes would not be able to meet the set back for our loose 6 hens.
It’s been a minute since I looked, but if I recall the setbacks aren’t anything special. I could be misremembering though.

How much land do you have? How is it zoned? I’m in Houston County, Georgia and I’m zoned Residential/Agriculture. I have friend that lives in downtown Perry and she has about 30 chickens in one of the nicest neighborhoods in town. There are no counties or cities for that fact around here that are as restricted as yours. I would go to the head of the county commisioners and get an explanation and an ordinance change. If he doesn’t want to do that, maybe you need some new commissioners. Being from Georgia, you probably know the state slogan “Georgia is the Poultry Capital of the World”.

http://www.gfb.org/skins/userfiles/files/AITC/Coloring Pages/aitc-poultrycoloringpage-2019-v1.pdf

Back
Top Bottom