Barter Brown not breathing well & very unhappy - Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k80kate, Feb 5, 2012.

1. k80kate

k80kate New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Hi All,

I need help with my chicken, she is not well at all. I've attached a video of her behavior and have listed some back ground below. Hopefully someone can help me to get her better.

She is not happy and very lethargic, off her food and not socializing with others. Stopped egg laying and her comb is flopping.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.
    Barter Brown (RIR & white leg horn cross) 7 months old - been with me since 8 weeks old, now weighs less and is thinner

2) What is the behavior, exactly
    gasping when breathing, extending her neck, closing her eyes, droopy tail, not mixing with other birds, tired, off food and having a little water

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms
    no the rest of the flock is fine and unaffected

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    has always had breathing difficulty, always seem to sneeze since I've had her

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all
    a little layer mash, water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    runny and green

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    separated from flock, kept in garage at night. given homeopathic remedy Ant Tart & colloidal silver

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    video has been uploaded

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    small house with saw dust bedding, large run and free range for 2 hours every afternoon. we back onto a bushland reserve and none of our neighbors have fences, bush turkeys are also present.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Poor baby... with the SB on you might not get alot of replies for another hour or so... have you looked down her throat to see if you can see any worms..ie: gape worm? I've not seen it myself, but I know the neck stretching is involved. Have you ever wormed her? Do a search on this forum for "stretching neck" and see what you can come up with. Good luck!!!

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I would not think gape worm first it is that is not common. Put your ear to her side when she breathes, can you hear a rattle....? If so then I think a respiratory problem. I would separate from the others and treat with a antibiotic. Most farm stores ( TSC ) carries several types ie Duramiycin etc. which is mixed with water. I have had better luck with Tylan 50 injectable ( I use a 22 ga. needle). If you use tylan 50 , three shots, one every other day on opposite sides of breast in meaty part. I would not wait too long with an respiratory problem. I did and it took for every to clear it up.
    Gape worm you can see in throat, small red Y shaped worms.
    also make sure she is drinking.

Good luck

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Agreed. Also there could be something stuck in her throat or crop. Try giving her a small piece of bread soaked in olive oil to eat.
    The green diarrhea could be bile from not eating.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by