Base for Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JennD08, Mar 27, 2017.

1. JennD08

JennD08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2017
    Hubby built a brooder out of leftovers we had in the garage. It is 3ft x 4ft and we have 12 chicks. The floor is cardboard with pine shavings. Is there something we can put on the cardboard to reduce the constant scratching and pecking sounds? They are almost 2 weeks old.

2. JennD08

JennD08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2017
    Was contemplating some rubbery shelving liner we have leftover from another project. We have them indoors in family room right now until they are old enough to go out in their coop.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You are in Georgia . is it warm enough to put them out in the garage with a lamp ? the liner would have been fine if they were smaller but I think they've outgrown that at this point. maybe you just put a hardware cloth top over the brooder and put them in the garage with a light so nothing small can get into the brooder to the chicks .. have a good day

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    By the way that's fine dust you're finding on everything in the living room ? that's chick down. and you can't dust it off. you have to wipe it off carefully off every nook and cranny. if you try to dust it off, it just flies into the air and settles down someplace else . Your living room just became a chicken coop. just a note.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by