Baseball People: Help Me with this Gift!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I was talking with a close friend the other day and we were talking about Christmas, and how our families never gave us the things we wanted growing up. Instead of a certain toy, etc., we'd get snow boots. We were just laughing about it and then that somehow turned to adult Christmases. He mentioned that all he's ever asked for was an "official Red Sox Jersey" but never got one... then I THINK he mentioned a couple of names, and I THINK one of them was Veritek and someone else. So I want to surprise him with one but have no clue how. I tried looking online and see all kinds of phrases like "authentic" "replica", etc.

Can anyone help me with what exactly I should be looking for? I know NOTHING about baseball or Jerseys. Varitek is a good player, right? I'm pretty sure he said Varitek but not positive. Also, what should the Jersey have on it as far as official emblems, etc? Should it have a certain logo that will tell me it's "authentic"? I don't want to get him some cheap knock off, I want to get him whatever the "real thing" is, but I'm looking around online and it's all greek to me.

Does anyone know of a reputable website to buy one, and what should I be looking for to know it's authentic?

PLEASE help me, I'm clueless but he would never see this coming and it would be such a great surprise!

Also, what sizes do guys typically want in these Jerseys? He was wearing one the other day that I thought looked way too big, but maybe that's how they wear them? He's about 6' tall and thin, maybe 168 lbs, something like that. Do they usually wear them big?

Also, are there chain stores that might sell these? If I can drive somewhere and get one instead of online, all the better.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:That's the site for the real, official, team gear. Never buy it anywhere else if you want the real thing. Ken is a HUGE Dodger fan, and I have purchased several thing there.

ETA: Jason Varitek, Catcher.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That's the site for the real, official, team gear. Never buy it anywhere else if you want the real thing. Ken is a HUGE Dodger fan, and I have purchased several thing there.

ETA: Jason Varitek, Catcher.

I want the real thing. I do NOT want a knock off. I'll check that link now.....

I'd like one that says Varitek only because he mentioned a couple of names and I forgot the other names, but I am sure he said Varitek, so figured that's a safe bet.

6. debilorrah

Like Woody said, they are expensive, shockingly so, but it is the real deal.

7. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
  8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Also, the smallest size that's in stock is a 48, which they call an XL. He's 5'11 and thin, 165-ish. But he was wearing a jersey that I thought looked way too big, so do guys typically like them oversized? Is this way too big, or okay? I know nothing about men's sizes.... (been alone WAY too long, ha ha).

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:It should have but maybe it was because they weren't sure the was coming back. They just signed him for another season about 2 hrs ago. That being said, most of the time they have their names on the back but not for every game. The Yankees, for example, never do but then they're snobbish.[​IMG]

10. debilorrah

None of the stuff will have names on the back; that is for players only. You can find knock off stuff that has the names but not nearly the same quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by