Baseball sized squishy crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misskeeter, Mar 11, 2013.

1. misskeeter

misskeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Okay... My one year old hen has been developing this giant crop for a bit now... It seems she's now losing feathers from it... I've tried offering more grit, but I'm not sure what to do... It's baseball sized and squishy... No bad smell. [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    From what little I know, more grit will not help. What does her poop look like? Does her crop empty at night?

3. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Poop looks normal.

It goes way way down, but doesn't seem to empty all the way.. I can't ever catch her early enough in the morning to tell for sure though. She is a very early riser. I'll have to set my alarm and go wake her up maybe .. lol.. She's a biter when I mess with her in her sleep though. Sweet as anything any other time, but she does NOT like to be messed with at night...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sounds like she might have a yeast infection then. Can you get any Diflucan or Nystatin?

5. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I don't know.. where would I get it?
    I have been prescribed that for humans, but where can I get it for chickens without a prescription? ...

6. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Okay.. my other hen has it too... I just checked her.

Her's was covered up by the fact that she is VERY fluffy, and her feathers blend right over it...

7. Urbana Gardener

Urbana Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Looks like my glw has this too. Any fx besides the meds? Should she be quarantined? :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by