Basement Windows for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AlienChick, Mar 13, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

We will be building our very first coop.

We bought all the materials at various places. We did not want to pay too much for doors and windows and were able to find $10 doors at Habitat for Humanity.

We could not find any cheap windows, so we were going to just cut holes for windows and put screening over the holes and a hinged shutter to close the window hole.

While we were at Lowes, however, we saw some $19 basement windows with screens and we decided to use those instead. We are going to add predator proof screening as well. The glass comes off to allow for ventilation during the warmer months.

Tomorrow the lumber gets delivered and the building begins!

Here's a pic of the window from the Lowes website.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm getting excited!!!!!

2. yoie

yoie Songster

I just put one of them on my coop too! I went for it since the price was so much nicer [​IMG]

3. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I'm looking for windows to. Never found anything that cheap at our lowes here in Western MD. Do you know if they are available on line ? Thanks

4. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    We have similar ones in our coop. Installed two - one directly across from the other to allow some ventilation, then put roofing vents on the opposite walls.

The price was nice I have to say. We installed them so they would open inward, and will be putting some welded wire over them on the outside so we can keep the windows open on warm nights and let a breeze in.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep used those but mine was a storm window type thing. Worked wonderfully for over seven years on my coop. However you would need to put hardware wire over it so the predators don't have a chance to get in.

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:Here's the link to the windows online at Lowes.
    And they do say they are storm windows.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_13301-78360..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

When I went into the store, I told the window guy that I wanted their cheapest window since it would be for a chicken coop.
    He first showed me the $37 regular window, and when I told him I didn't want to pay that much, he showed me the $19 Basement Storm Window with screen.

I bought two of them for opposite walls of the coop. And I will be putting up vents on the other walls.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find 16 gauge welded wire 1/2".
    I have some 1/2" 20 gauge that I bought from Lowes, but they don't have the 16 gauge anywhere.
    I want that to put over the windows and openings.

[​IMG]

7. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks alienchick for that link. That is just the perfect size.If i cant find any to resalvage i will go with those .Thanks again for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: