Basic chick sex question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kanga77510, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Is the sex of the chick determined at conception, much like human babies? Or is the sex of the chick influenced more by temperature like with crocodiles (warmer temps results in more males)?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    From what I've read here, yes sex is determined at conception. I've also read that higher temps have a higher likelihood of killing female egg than males, thus resulting in higher male hatchings.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If the sex could be determined by external factors then commercial hatcheries everywhere would be hatching a LOT less rooster chicks.

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:THAT, I do not believe. It was POLAR in Michigan this summer & my broody hatched 3 hens and 8 roosters - awful!!!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:THAT, I do not believe. It was POLAR in Michigan this summer & my broody hatched 3 hens and 8 roosters - awful!!!

I should have clarified, internal EGG temperature. Again, just what I've read, I have no experience with it.

6. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH

Luck has a lot to do with ratios too. Since the sex is determined by the genetics, you just got a lot of roo eggs. I have also heard that high temps can kill off pullets in the egg. That said, we are talking high temp over a prolonged period or a quite high temp spike that raises the egg temp significantly. Temps still can't change what an egg is meant to be though. The female in chickens passes on the determining genes so even before an egg is fertilized it is either male or female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by