Basic cleaning supplies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cindyanne1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I want to get some cleaning/maintenance supplies together in one place to use just for the chickens. What kinds of things should I be getting?

Things like:

a bucket
    a broom and dustpan
    sevin dust
    some kind poo scraper (what would that be called?)

ummmmm...?

What else?

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'm currently looking for a good dust mask that fits tight to the face because cleaning the coop sure stirs up a lot of dust.

There is a long handled flat edge tool used to edge a flowerbed or scrap linoleum glue off a floor that makes a good scrapper on the floor of the coop. A hand held putty knife would work on roosts and other surfaces.

Depending on your coop size and if you are using deep litter method, you may want a wheel barrel for the shavings, but that would really only need to be used a couple times a year.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I second the recommendation of a dust mask.

Browse the 'paint scrapers' section of your hardware store, pick what appeals to you [​IMG]

I'd suggest a large muck bucket or wheelbarrow rather than buckets (although a bucket can be useful for spot cleaning)

A squirt bottle of water and stiff-bristled brush can be useful for splats of dried-on poo on roosts, walls, etc.

"Have fun" [​IMG],

Pat

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    dollar store dust pan for the bottom of the coop. i love it and i can afford to replace it when it gets "too bad"

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

My cleaning kit consists of....

a broom (just for the coop)
    a snow shovel (we don't get much snow here, brought my old one when I moved - works great)
    a mask (just one of the paper ones from Walmart - to keep the dust out)
    the dump trailer hooked to hubby's Kubota (easier than pails or wheelbarrow)
    Oxine mixed in a sprayer
    a scraper to scrape off perches, tops of nest boxes - or any flat surface in the coop [​IMG]

that's about it. (although, I do have a swim nose plug - just in case I ever need it, I've never let it get that bad, though [​IMG] )

meri

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    - A good detergent. The cheap stuff is fine.
    - Bleach

7. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    my cleaning supplies include:
    paper towels
    dust mask
    Mrs.Meyers tub and tile cleaner with tea tree oil (repels lice and mites)
    dust broom
    bucket
    pitchfork
    DE

I clean out the roost box everyday with the old poo/shavings by sweeping it up with the dust pan broom into a bucket. Then I spray the floor (covered w/vinyl tiles) with the the tea tree oil cleaner and then lay some new shavings--not much. I can do this since I only have 7 pullets. I use the pitchfork a few times a week to turn over the dirt/mulch/shavings in the rest of the coop. I use the DE in the coop mixed with the bedding and on the roost poles a couple times a week--like my coop clean [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by