Basic first aid advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by geckobass5, Jul 28, 2010.

1. geckobass5

geckobass5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    lee county
    My wife took a look at the girls tonight, one of the pullets @5 months old had a small part of her comb missing just where it meets the beak. I put on some neosporin, tried to keep her in for the night but she seemed to be getting more distressed so we put her back out.Should I just keep an eye on her or is there something else I should do/

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Keep an eye on her and the other girls. She may be being bullied by the others. If there is blood they will step up the bulling. I would probably remove her from the rest of the flock, until you know for sure that she is healing. The first aid is what I would do for her.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Sometimes it's difficult to separate one hen from the flock as they miss being with their group so much. If there is an open wound, it is a good idea to camouflage it. You can use Blu-Kote with a q-tip, or a little Rooster Booster Pick-no-More, though it would be difficult to get any of that on a place like you're describing without getting at least as much on yourself. I would watch closely, and if there is more picking on that area, I would separate them in such a way that they can see or maybe hear each other. She wouldn't be so lonely that way. A darkened dog/cat carrier will sometimes help settle an injured bird down. Good luck with your bird. Hopefully there wasn't any more pecking to that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by