Basic information please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IDIOT HUSBAND, Aug 7, 2009.

1. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    This will be a simple question for all the pro chicken people we have here. I have 16 RIR that are about 6-weeks old. I have seen a few feathers in the coop and run, is that normal? I also have 2-4 chicks with a slightly red spot just below and behind their eyes. Is that normal? Other than that they all look good and healthy.

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Songster

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    A few feathers here and there is normal. As for the red spots, I don't have an answer. Could you post pics? This would give us a better idea of what you a referring to.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    you'll probably see alot more feathers around 8 weeks I think it is, when they change out some of their baby feathers.

4. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I don't know how to post pictures at this point. My beutiful wife (She's right behind me) probably knows how if I could talk her into it tomorrow. These spots aren't real red or alarming, just barely enough to get your attention.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Yep - feather loss normal. New ones coming in replacing old ones. You'll see them eat them too.

The little red things. Could it be their ears?

6. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Do RIRs have red earlobes? That would be my guess.

7. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    I guess it could be ears:/. I've only been in the chicken business for about 6-weeks now. I noticed you have a holland lops. My little 4 year old girl is looking at rabbits now. Do you have any advice on which breed will make a better pet

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Holland lops are the best pet bunny EVER. I have had French lops, mini lops as pets but LOVE the Holland.

They are friendly, small, and pretty hardy.

Make sure you go to a breeder or 4-H'r that handles their bunnies from day one. They by far will make the best pet for kids.

Good luck.

4 wk old torte
    [​IMG]

9. chik magnet

chik magnet Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    Enid OK
    Yes RIRs have red earlobes.

10. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Songster

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    Thanks to everyone for all your help. Since the computer is back up I'll try to keep in touch.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: