1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Basic Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AccidentalFarm, May 12, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    At what age do roosters begin mating hens? And do they need a 'break-in' or 'trial' period before the hens eggs are fertile?

Heh, forgive the newbie question. [​IMG] I have no experience in this area to draw from.

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hi AccidentalFarm !
    I can't answer the first part of your question, but I think I read here that it takes about 2 weeks for the fertility issue to kick in.
    I may be wrong...so someone correct me please... [​IMG]

3. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told that they will being to mate between 6 and 8 months

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've heard two weeks and I've also heard three weeks. So, I would say three weeks for fertile to be safe. [​IMG]

5. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    hi i have a rir roo and it just turned 7 months old and rides everthing in site lol

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    [​IMG]
    okay, i'm not sure i'm following this post right, the first part i get, but what do you mean by break in period 2-3 weeks, i'm sorry im so lost [​IMG] ust a bit of being a polock [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The cockerels usually start mounting the pullets about the same time they start to lay.

8. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:As a friend and former resident of the wonderful country of Poland, I am just horrified at the above slur....j/k [​IMG]

9. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    sorry [​IMG] lol i'm so used to it coming from my family, it's from my mom's side so when ever i go to my grandparents on my dad's side they always call me a polak [​IMG] but to clear things i do love poland,been there in fact, when i was 7 very pretty place would love to go there again

10. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    It really is a beautiful country...do you remember what part you visited.
    It was nice driving through the small villages and seeing flocks of chickens roaming around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by