Basic questions about raising pastured Cornish-X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NeilV, Jan 29, 2011.

1. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I am considering trying to raise some Cornish-X from day-old chicks. I have some basic questions:

1. How many square feet of brooder space do I need for each bird?

2. If I use a chicken tractor and move them daily once they are out of the brooder, how many square feet per bird do I need in the tractor?

3. At about what age do they go from the brooder to the tractor?

4. Anybody have an idea of what month (for Oklahoma) it would be warm enough to put birds outside?

Thanks,

Neil

2. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    That was what I was looking for (FWIW, I used the google search function but did not find it).

The mod on this sub-forum needs to add that to the notable posts sticky that is at the top.

Do you have suggestions about what the outside temps should be when pasturing Cornish-X? We have cold winters and hot summers, and I'm trying to guage when it is warm enough to get started.

Many thanks for that link,

Neil

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:You don't want the low temp to be below freezing when moving out a young batch (3 weeks old). If I move them out and the weather is to be cold and windy, I will tarp the open sides of the tractor to block the wind. If it is cold when moving them as youngsters, you will risk losing some to piling. It is not always the case, but I have had it happen.

4. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    NeilV

Wet weather is a killer also- it will suck the heat out of 3 to 4 week olds fast. You need to have a back up plan. The tractor I built for the first batch of the year have sides to put in place and I keep a few bales of straw around to keep them up off the ground if is saturated and muddy. If we get a freak snow storm I have provisions for a heat light.

A few lessons (form experience)

A-frame tractors let in to much weather- keep it square with a full roof

Keep it light- 2x4 and 2x6 are way over built.

Start small and build your way up- work out the bugs.

In answer to # 2- 1.4 to 1.8 sq feet. If you build a 10 x12 ft tractor you can push more to the 1.4, but the smaller to go you need to go more toward the 1.8. IMO

Get a complete plan together from day 1 to the end of processing, it makes a big difference for your stress level.

My first year was just 10 birds and it was just thrown together- now I do about 250.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by