Basic suggestions, anyone???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjeanean, Mar 5, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    First time raising chickens, just need some basic suggestions....
    - does the coop absolutely need to be insulated?
    - what height chicken wire would be a good idea? is 36" okay?
    - does the top of the run need to be covered with wire, or can that stay open?
    - is it normal for the baby chicks to get 'buttnuggets' of dried poop on their back ends?

Any other suggestions would be nice, I'm reading a little out of the forums on litter etc, but I know there's a lot more info out there. Thanks!

2. Angerbat

Angerbat New Egg

Mar 5, 2008
    The coop does not need to be insulated for chickens, at least ours isn't and we live in the mountain west, record colds, and lots of snow this year. For baby chicks it might. We usually brood ours inside until they have all their feathers, with a nice warm light.

We had about a 48" fence around our coop and every night our chickens would fly the coop. It is now at 6 feet, we had a couple get out even at that height but they stopped because not all of them could make it.

You need to make the coop predator proof if you have foxes, racoons, etc. roaming around. We don't have a top, but we have an aggressive rooster, a cat in the coop to catch the mice, and a barking dog near by.

I don't know about the butt-nuggets. This is only our second year of raising chicks. Our year-old chickens are doing great. We will see how our 12 new chicks do.

I hope this helps.

3. Mrs Chickenlady

Mrs Chickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Welcome to everything chicken [​IMG]

does the coop absolutely need to be insulated?

That depends on your location....If you live in an area that gets well below freezing in the winter for any length of time I would insulate

what height chicken wire would be a good idea? is 36" okay?

My small coop run is only 3 feet high and my girls seem to be quite content

does the top of the run need to be covered with wire, or can that stay open?

If you're not worried about them flying over, or something getting in. Otherwise I would definitely cover the run with wire

is it normal for the baby chicks to get 'buttnuggets' of dried poop on their back ends?

I don't know that it's "normal", but it does happen. However you need to clean it gently with warm water and a soft towel and then dry so that they don't get "blocked up"

I'm by far no expert, these are just some of my own observations. Good luck with your little ones. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by