1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

basic turkey questions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ozarkmomma, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    Thinking about raising a few turkeys to process in the fall/winter. Do they eat the same food as chickens? How long do they take to get big enough to process? Anything else I should know?

thanks

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I feed my turkeys 30% protein but you can feed them as low as 24% but I would suggest nothing lower than 26%. 30% protein may not be sold in your area. As far as how long before they will be ready to process, I have no idea. I have never processed any of mine. Sorry.

You may want to check out this thread. It has a lot of information about turkeys.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92240

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    28%30% protien feed. A broad breasted white or bronze will be ready in 4-6 months and a heritage will be 8-9 months.

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    If you buy a Broad Breated Whites, they will be ready is about 20 weeks. They eat 28-30% protien turkey game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Then a 20-22% grow/developer. The last few weeks I feed a finisher or just add some cracked corn.

It is way to late in the year for heritage turkeys to be ready for this year in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by