Basics of Chicken Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, May 14, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So what are the basics of chicken breeding? Im getting into it and have read a little, but i want to know what you do. I know everyone is a little diffrent. Ive heard about not crossing lines, crossing lines, this and that. Im talking more about keeping a standard and improving a breed in general.

Thanks Guys, Ian

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My goals are different than yours so our methods are different. What I would suggest is to first go to chicken shows around you for a few reasons. First is to actually see the standards and what you are trying to achieve. There is a world of difference in actually seeing it and reading about it. I think actually seeing the differences is very important to understanding.

Second is to talk to people that are passionate about breeding chickens. Occasionally you will run into a sourpuss that is secretive, rude, and a pain in the rear, but most people that are passionate about what they do are very happy to talk about it to others and really like to get others turned on to their passion. They will gladly tell you what they do, how they do it, and what some of the problems to look out for are. I think that is where you will get the best answer to your specific question.

You will see good examples of the different breeds. It may help you decide which breed you want to work on.

You'll have great contacts to get good starter stock from. Most of their rejects are going to be a lot better than any hatchery stock you can get.

Once you find out what is really involved, you may decide you really don't want to do this before you spend a lot of money and effort building and outfitting coops, runs, brooders, and breeding pens.

I hope you decide to go through with your project. That would be a good thing to do. Good luck!!!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Find the breed that most interests you and a variety that appeals. Locate a breeder and purchase a pair or trio. Started birds (older chicks/young adults) or birds who are a few years old are good choices. Purchase the best birds you can afford.

Talk to all the breeders of that breed you can find. At poultry shows talk to all the breeders. Certainly pay more attention to comments related to your breed, but there is also a lot to glean from those who have different breeds also. Some folks use single or trio breeding pens and others use flock breeding. It depends on how closely you want to keep records, and the number of birds you have in one breed or variety.

4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay, well i've been to a chicken show and talked to people, im breeding MF and Porc D'uccles, and my brother is doing Buff Orps. Our stock has come from breeding stock, and the buff orps are from a guy who has shown APA for 30+ years and is one of those "ol' Pros". Im asking more like what the benifits of breeding in Pairs, Trios, Quads, and Flocks. Also how you keep records, ect...

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, if you are breeding with pairs, you can know eactly the parentage of each chick hatched. If breeding in trios or quads, you can know the exact father and a small set that could be the mother. You can keep fewer roosters if you breed in trios or quads than if you do pair breeding. (Unless you are rotating a single rooster through several pens with pair breeding). With flock breeding you really don't know who is the mother of any chick.

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    My tipp is:
    First find out all the DQ's for chicken in general and the breed of interest.
    Try not to buy any (birds with a DQ).

In the beginning you are distracted by the beauty of the chickens.
    If you want to stay in that state, maybe it's best not to engage in exhibition breeding.

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    what about keeping lines and stuff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by