Basics: What is the purpose of a run?

sagemccoy

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
I'm in charge of researching coops and runs and the Why's of how they're built for my family unit before we get chickens. I know runs are important, but how would you describe their importance to someone outside of the chicken world? We plan to let our future chooks run about the yard, so my boyfriend isn't sure why we would need a large run. TIA!

Predator proof runs are especially important for chickens who do not free range full time. Chickens are not meant to be cooped-up in a coop all day. They need to eat, drink, explore, scratch, stretch, dust bathe, play and enjoy a stress free chicken life within a flock. It is our responsibility as chicken owners to provide a safe coop and run for our feathered families!

Hi! Good for you for researching first!

Where are you located? Knowing what predators you're up against can go a long way in planning for a secure coop/run. One of the members on here made this great image to show you how you can add your general location to your profile:
upload_2018-7-16_21-33-11-png.1470889

Hi! Good for you for researching first!

Where are you located? Knowing what predators you're up against can go a long way in planning for a secure coop/run. One of the members on here made this great image to show you how you can add your general location to your profile:
upload_2018-7-16_21-33-11-png.1470889

Thanks! I updated. We're in Northwest Arkansas. We def have a few raccoons in our neighborhood. And we hear coyotes sometimes. We're in the middle of the city, but in a nice little wooded area, so there is some wildlife we've been concerned about during our research!

Back
Top Bottom