Bat poop and Chickens

Crysta

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Florida
Hello Backyard Chicken Community!

Recently, I have been considering building a bat house for the purpose of getting rid of some flies and mosquitoes around my coop. I have read up on all the beneficial qualities of bats and I haven't seen a reason why I shouldn't house them
big_smile.png
. My last worry before I make one, is whether the bat droppings can be harmful to my hens. The location I have been thinking about placing the bat house would be near my chicken coop, where my hens will come into contact with the bat droppings.

Does anyone have a bat house along with chickens?
Can bat droppings harm my hens?

Crysta
D.gif

Recently, I have been considering building a bat house for the purpose of getting rid of some flies and mosquitoes around my coop. I have read up on all the beneficial qualities of bats and I haven't seen a reason why I shouldn't house them
big_smile.png
. My last worry before I make one, is whether the bat droppings can be harmful to my hens. The location I have been thinking about placing the bat house would be near my chicken coop, where my hens will come into contact with the bat droppings.

Crysta
D.gif
goodpost.gif

You are correct Bat's are nice to have around for bug control but the
droppings should be in the Bat-Cave not the chicken coop and the
Bat-Drooping's are a sellable item but the question I have is where
are you going to get the Bat's from or are you just going to build a
Bat-Cave and hope they come and hang out
smile.png

:goodpost:

You are correct Bat's are nice to have around for bug control but the
droppings should be in the Bat-Cave not the chicken coop and the
Bat-Drooping's are a sellable item but the question I have is where
are you going to get the Bat's from or are you just going to build a
Bat-Cave and hope they come and hang out :)

Thanks for the reply!
My plan is to build an open bottom bat house, I have seen many layouts like this. The open bottom allows the droppings to fall to the ground instead of gathering within the bat house. The problem is whether my hens will be harmed from the bat droppings that will fall into a garden nearby.

I know there are bats in the area so I plan on just building the house in hopes of them using it. Ive read that they will use it within a year if the conditions are right.

Last edited:
Quote: Bat Guano is high in nitrogen and just a little goes a long way in a garden so if a pound goes for $ 5 dollars I would try to catch it but on the other hand your question is would it hurt your chickens I would have to say no ........

But all the droppings all in one place will kill your garden I would think but I would really like to see a set up like that ....

But where are you going to get the bat's from ?

Thank you!
From my research, you can't buy bats and put them in the bat house, you have to build the house and put it in a location the fits their needs. Usually, a bat will find the house in the spring and raise their babies in it during the summer. I've found that a bat will inhabit the house within a year if you place it in the right spot, 5 years if there aren't bats in the area. If you build it right and put it in a spot that suits their needs, eventually they will find it and use it.

Recently, I have been considering building a bat house for the purpose of getting rid of some flies and mosquitoes around my coop.  I have read up on all the beneficial qualities of bats and I haven't seen a reason why I shouldn't house them :D .  My last worry before I make one, is whether the bat droppings can be harmful to my hens. The location I have been thinking about placing the bat house would be near my chicken coop, where my hens will come into contact with the bat droppings.

Crysta  :cd  

Crystal did you do this? Have your chickens had access to the bat droppings? How did it turn out?

I'm wanting to put an open bottom bat box in an old tree I have near my chicken yard. I'm wondering if it's best to have it on the chicken side or on the dog side.

Crystal did you do this? Have your chickens had access to the bat droppings? How did it turn out?

I'm wanting to put an open bottom bat box in an old tree I have near my chicken yard. I'm wondering if it's best to have it on the chicken side or on the dog side.
You may not get an answer from the OP as this thread is 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom