Batam Cochrin with other bigger hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Small Farmer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Small Farmer

Small Farmer New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    I just got a Blue Batam Cochrin...love her. My question is, can she be with my other three hens (Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, and Buff Orpington)? I know that they have to go through the pecking order, but I get nervous because she is so little. Does she need to be separated?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a lovely and adorable Banty Cochin in w/ about 20 other standard birds. There were no major issues. My birds free range all day so they were not locked up in close quarters except when sleeping.

When I would toss out treats she had to be given some on the sly b/c she could not compete well, but other than that it was sooooo great to have such a wonderful bird.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Give it a try, but closely monitor the integration process. Had they been raised together, there would be less worry. Your 3 present hens will definately subordinate the bantam. How aggressive they will be is difficult to predict. The larger the area they have to roam and the more 'hiding' places for the bantam the greater your chances for success.

4. Small Farmer

Small Farmer New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Thank you for your help. Well I have giving them all day and they have become increasingly more aggressive...pour girl. I don't think I can make it work, real bummed out. For anyone that is looking to get a batam cochin they are amazing. A very gentle bird. Sad that she didn't work out.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Sourland has good advice & suggestions. You also may want to try putting Banty in a cage or pen where your other 3 hens can see and get used to her without being able to peck her. They may be able to work out their Poultry Politics without doing as much actual damage.

A lot of the pecking order has to do with attitude as much as size. I've seen flocks where the tiniest bantam was at the top. But Cochins tend to have more docile temperments, so yours may invite more pecking.

Sometimes you can leave chickens alone to work it all out. As long as they're not drawing blood or chasing the bantam into a corner to beat her up they might eventually ease up on their own. There is a risk and you'd still want to monitor it closely until you were certain.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Try a segregation/integration coop and pen. Just a pet carrier inside the coop with a wire barrier around it so she has her own little "yard" of safety. Keep her there at least a week, with her own waterer and feeder. This way they will see her and hear her and even peck at her through the wire but not injure her. She won't be a stranger at the end of the week, so much of the problem will be gone. She will still go through pecking order but she won't get the "must kill stranger" attacks.

Please try this. I have several banties in my large flock and they get along well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by