Batam sebright rooster versus golden comet hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flash5153, Sep 6, 2010.

1. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    I recently picked up a silver sebright rooster,,I really dont know why .[​IMG]
    I have 9 golden comet and 2 australorpe hens. Silly question,,, but,,, can the batam rooster mate with these hens and produce a fertile egg?? If yes,,what do you end up with if was to hatch one out??

I have a hen going broody,,was thinking of giving her a egg to lay on and maybe hatch.Although, I have no idea if I have a fertile egg to put under her. (from another hen) Broody hen quit laying and stays in box almost all the time.
    Im new to this,,give me some thoughts on this please.

2. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Will I get a silver comet or a golden sebright??[​IMG]:lau

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    yes he can fertilize a GC have you seen him mount any of the girls, how long have you had him, have you seen bullseyes in any of the yolks.If she did hatch one it would be a mutt a good looking one though I bet. Can you get your hands on some eggs you know are fertile ,like from a friend or something? [​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes he can and will. I have a Golden Sebright rooster and he's been mating successfully with my Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red. And no you won't get Golden Sebrights or Silver Comets from this mating. They will just be mix breeds.

5. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Yes I have seen him mount one hen,,,one time only though. No I have no one with fertile eggs.

I was thinking of putting 5 to 6 eggs, from other hens, under her. Or as many as I can catch fresh laid and still warm. Problem is ,,,no way to know if fertile. What are the odds and would it be worth it??
    But then again,, she wont come out of the box anyway. If I mark the eggs so not to get them mixed up.
    hmmmm??? I dont know what to do.[​IMG]

6. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    Quote:LOL.. I was joking when I said that. I had no idea there was such a breed. DOH!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by