Batams and chicken tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, Aug 31, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I was curious if you made the chicken tractor just right would you be able to permently house 3 bantams in it? Im wanting to get one of each: black frizzle, white frizzle and a light brahma. I havent made the tractor yet, but was planning on something like the picture below. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Edited to add:

I live in Central Tx were the summers are hot and the winters are mild.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    If you can lock the girls up tight in the coop part at night, I don't see why you couldn't keep chickens in it year round where you live.

My biggest concerns personally are that I 1-have no grass anywhere for them to eat, so a tractor wouldn't help much, though they could munch on weeds in different areas, lol and 2-we have pretty cold winters, so I'd have to have to worry about temps, and 3-security, of course.

Though the fact that we have no trees on our property either (what can I say, a new house in the desert, I started out with a few weeds, dirt, and a pile of rocks), wild predators aren't a problem during the day (racoons, n' such) so as long as I have it fully predator proof at night I would probably be OK. I love, love the tractor at the top of the 'show me your chicken tractors' thread. I'm going to try one of those babies myself next year. lol

3. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I have three bantams permanently in my tractor without any problems. The tractor has a 4'x6' footprint, with a 2'x4' house above it:
    [​IMG]

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] I LOVE it! Is it hard to move around? I wonder if wheels could somehow be put on it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by