BATH DAY!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoisonIvy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    So for some reason I decided to give each member of my flock a bath today. I filled the bathtub not quite half way with warm water & some dawn dish soap. Caught each bird one at a time, brought it in & into the tub. Used a plastic cup to pour the soapy water over them repeatedly. Rinsed with the shower sprayer, wrapped in a warm towel for a while & then turned back loose. My new little Barred Rocks were easy to catch, but didn't much care for the bath. My big Pekin duck hens, I had to corral them into their pen in order to catch them. They quacked up a storm, but they did ok, and looked fantastic afterward. (they were pretty dingy) Knowing they'd head straight for their pool, I made sure to dump it, rinse & refill it before their bath. That left my big New Hampshire hen & Brown Leghorn roo. They're not about to be caught, and will not let themselves be corraled into the pen, so I had to wait until roost. Super easy to catch then! Lady hen did pretty good, didn't much care for it, but overall it wasn't bad. Believe it or not, the best behaved bird of them all was my roo. He was so calm, he even let me scrub his comb with a soft scrub brush, and wash under his wings. He did great! He even started to doze off in my arms afterwards while all wrapped up in a towel. Then I trimmed the tip of one of his spurs (only one needed it). All is clean & happy in my bird world!
    [​IMG]

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    My chickens need baths too, come to think of it. What made you pick Dawn dish soap? It's safe for animals, I assume?

3. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    Honestly, it's really all I had laying around besides people shampoo & some cat flea shampoo. I've heard of folks using flea shampoo on chickens but no one specified which kind, and I know there's a difference between dog flea shampoo & cat flea shampoo, and you can't interchange them on dogs & cats, so for that reason I didn't use it. I've read elsewhere on this forum about folks using Dawn. If they can use it on sea birds, I'd say it's fine for chickens!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Thanks for your advice! You reminded me that it's almost bathtime!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by