Bath for new hens!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Coastal Chicks, Jul 7, 2010.

1. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    ok I just have added three new hens and they need some cleaning after the travel!
    How do I do this... hand wash? Soap no soap?

Thanks for any info!
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Warm water should do it- I hope you are keeping them in quarantine for 30 days, clean or dirty!!
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would wash them in the tub or sink, as you would a baby, with baby shampoo! LOL You know, water not hot, not cold, luke warm I'll be messy. I'm sure they'll splash away if they're new chickens......but it can be done.....wear a parka! [​IMG]
  4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Wash them in an old dish pan with warm water. Add the soap to the water before bathing them Then use another pan to rinse.I do this all the time for shows. I find the best thing to use is dish soap just the cheap 99cent soap is fine. Dont use Dawn as it dries out the feathers. Be sure they are partially dry before you put them outside so they dont chill USe a hair dryer on low to dry them. Oh yeah be care when washing them some chickens actually fall asleep in the pan and you have to hold their heads up. Unless you know the conditions of the flock you bought them from I would quarantine them to be sure they arent hiding any illnesses at least 4 weeks.
  5. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Ok so I did not get the Dawn suggestion until after the fact.. but I did rinse well and dry them with the hair dryer. They totally chilled and some fell asleep while getting dried.
    I even got an egg after this hole experience so I hope they are ok. I do need to go against all suggestions regarding the quarntine. I feel that they were very well cared for and are thriving. They are about a year old. My pullets are about 14 weeks. I am hoping for the best on this but I am not set up for that. My girls are free range and are only in the coop at night. Anything to watch for specifically during my rebellious weeks...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by