bath night with a 3 and half month old shepherd that hates water

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DTchickens, Nov 13, 2008.

1. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Title pretty much says it.. all i can say is i had forgotten how much roman grew lately and how strong he is [​IMG] , we fight for 30 minutes probably hes slinging water everywhere and scratching me up as much as i can. I try to stay calm.... until he scratched me for the last time from there i take my shirt off (So it wont get wet), wrap my arm around his head and leg stick my arm between his legs and grab his right foot with my hand. lean over him and begin to wash up to my shoulder actually held him still besides the random struggles. but nonetheless a adventure, finally get done. dry him off and let him out of the bathroom he runs to the livingroom falls over (not lays down. FALLS) and begins licking himself starring at me with a face like "Im gonna get you back..." [​IMG]

-Daniel

ps.. hes fair size for his age, 1 and a half feet from foot to shoulder, 30-35 pounds

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Bath him EVERY week, and give him a treat when he is standing there in the water.

3. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i usually do, but hes shot up about 15 pounds within the past week, as for treats. will try it

4. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    A puppies first bath is supposed to be fun - more about play than actually about bathing. It helps set a good impression for the baths to follow. [​IMG]

You could always start over with your pup - make his next bath fun, maybe even put some treats in the water for him to 'snorkel' and find himself.

Our puppy is 5 months old now, and probably about 30-35lbs. He's a Pit Bull x Blue Tick Hound. He is destructive, lol! He hates baths, but loves to PLAY in water. [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:roman was a house dog until 2 months old, now hes a outside/inside dog.. He began tearing paper, bottles, and anything he could get his mouth on up. hes mostly stopped that now though he plays with my cousins blue healer all the time now

-Daniel

6. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    i was lucky as my 3 pits are rescue and all like baths.... 2 even like to swim (always entertaining at pool parties!)

try the treats, and fun voice! enjoy it and they will..
    good luck

7. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Shepherd are working dogs - so they are going to want and need something to do ( a job) You can make it anything, also he is a pup so he is going to teeth(alot) Keep large rawhides and kongs available for him to chew on. Don't give a tennis ball unless it is supervised. Shepherds don't mature until they are about 2 yrs old;) Hang in there - it will be worth it:love

Everyone is correct about the bath - fun, lots of treats. Do NOT tell him good boy UNLESS he is doing exactly what you want. Telling him - Good Boy is telling him that is what you are asking for. So if he is tearing out of the bath - don't say good boy. (clear as mud)

Correct behaviors now while young will save you alot of heartache and headache later on.

Lots of Luck [​IMG]

Quote:roman was a house dog until 2 months old, now hes a outside/inside dog.. He began tearing paper, bottles, and anything he could get his mouth on up. hes mostly stopped that now though he plays with my cousins blue healer all the time now

-Daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by