1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bath Time! And new pullets have an ugly new coop! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cat_named_noodles, Aug 14, 2010.

1. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Songster

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    So my new pullets (have had them about 2 weeks now, BR-Penelope Strange and Splash BLRW Betty Poop) got a bath last night because Penelope has had some diarrhea, and needed her backside all cleaned up. I went ahead and bathed Betty too, as she is very attached to Penelope. They behaved quite well for chickens that hadn't been handled at all before I picked them up and brought them home (I guess a few mealworms, scrambled eggs and yogurt will do that [​IMG]) .Anyway, I decided to take some pictures of the event, and here you go:
    [​IMG]
    The Stink Eye Pic: "Human...What ARE you doing to us!?!?!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feeling exposed:
    [​IMG]
    "That's much better!"
    [​IMG]

And now they are well enough to live outside! Their new, temporary, garden bed quarantine coop. Made it in about 2 hours with materials I already had. They will be staying in there probably for another month before introducing them to the other girls. The entire area is a garden bed, so after they girls move out we can till the remaining bedding (and composted bedding from coop cleaning) into the soil (along with poop) for free fertilizer, and plant it next spring! It may not be the prettiest coop, but it works! Lots of ventilation (very important in our 100+ degree days right now) and protection from wind, rain, dogs, cats and the sun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The garden "run"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Great pictures [​IMG] They are lucky birds, and the coop/run are adorable [​IMG]

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    rofl [​IMG] bath time is so funny!! But you have such pretty little girls and I love their coop! It's cute!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful & Smart!

5. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    thats cute~ like all the wind chimes too [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I enjoyed this story! Now I see where the term, "Mad as a Wet Hen" came from!

7. Trophamus

Trophamus Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    haha very cute [​IMG] i lovvve betty!

8. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Songster

Jul 21, 2009
    GOOD PICS!!!!!!! that's funny. they always look odd after bath time... [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awe! [​IMG]

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: