Bath time for baby chick?

Familyofchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
So my baby chicks, 9 of them I must say, have been the most cutest babies ever however, they do get treats every now and then which results in sticky chicks. I have recently given then watermelon since it is so hot here in Colorado recently. They absolutely love it but I absolutely hate how sticky they get. Would it be bad to give them a bath and let them dry off in the sun?

I do not want to ruin their feathers because I read that giving them a bath destroys their feathers and it takes away the oil that they need for their body. My baby chicks do take dirt baths but they it's only 5 of them that do. So if you guy can give me your advices and thought it would be amazing!

Do they have a way to take a dust bath? Let them take care of their stickyness. If they are still in a brooder, give them a shallow plate or flat bottomed bowl of dirt to play in. Or, if you'd like, get a shovel-full of sod and put it in the brooder, flipped over with the dirt facing up and the grass/sod facing down. Chicks love this.

Also, if they are eating watermelon, I assume you've given them access to grit or dirt of some kind? They need this to digest the non-feed food.

I personally would not give them a bath. I try to think about what they would naturally do and give them a way to do that. Dust bathing is how chickens clean themselves.

Hope this helps,
Guppy

I like Guppy's advice.
Mine get "mow hawks" and "helmet" heads when they find pawpaw (papya) and all burrow into it (confused me for a few days until I saw the fruit lying around and watch them walk inside the skin!!), even young, they figure out how to dust bathe, clean up nicely eventually, and they enjoy the process.
Maybe a large pan or tray of dirt in the brooder can help if they're not out and about yet.

Do they have a way to take a dust bath? Let them take care of their stickyness. If they are still in a brooder, give them a shallow plate or flat bottomed bowl of dirt to play in. Or, if you'd like, get a shovel-full of sod and put it in the brooder, flipped over with the dirt facing up and the grass/sod facing down. Chicks love this.

Also, if they are eating watermelon, I assume you've given them access to grit or dirt of some kind? They need this to digest the non-feed food.

I personally would not give them a bath. I try to think about what they would naturally do and give them a way to do that. Dust bathing is how chickens clean themselves.

Hope this helps,
Guppy
This is honestly a really good advice. Thank you for taking the time out to help me! They do get access to dirt 24/7. I just get worried that they might not be aware of the sticky substance. However, they all took dirt baths yesterday evening and now they are clean! I get so mother like with them that I feel bad if they are sticky. I need to tone the mother instinct down a bit haha :barnie

Back
Top Bottom