Bath time........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by emjay, Nov 22, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my three Buff Orp X's LOVE their dust baths. The one especially on this photo shoot really overindulged herself. After about 10-15 minutes of bathtime, she waddled away. Didn't walk away, she slithered away on her elbows, she looked silly, not sure why she crept around the run like that, maybe too heavy with dirt. LOL.
    I enjoy watching them have their dust baths.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Soooo cute! I love when they turn sideways as they ruffle in the dust, so silly looking!

3. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    i dunno what it is, but i can sit and watch my girls bathe themselves in dirt for hours.
    seriously.

on another note...what's the actual purpose of dirt baths?
    i mean, they don't really get clean do they?
    is it simply to itch themselves or remove mites or...ya know? [​IMG]

4. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Part of it (other than the pure joy they express while they do it) is to keep parasites such as mites and lice from finding a home in your chickens' feathers and legs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    that's what i figured.
    i also dig it when they decide to lay in the sun. no clue why...i just think it's interesting, i guess. [​IMG]

6. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=1612FC893B3B797B593CA3200BF19595.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=624008
    Dustbathing is a highly motivated behaviour (Lindberg & Nicol, 1997) in chickens and also assists with maintaining good feather condition. This activity involves ‘bathing’ and scratching in dry earth, effectively spraying dry dust onto and into their feather plumage. Dustbathing can be described "as having three stages: tossing, rubbing, and shaking; all in an attempt to regulate feather condition by removing excess oils" (Farm Sanctuary, 2001).

I have observed chickens sunbathing. They appear to appreciate the warmth of the sun and look quite serene as they soak up the rays. However, sunbathing has biological benefits for chickens also. Folsch et al state:

'Daylight controls and triggers many of their physiological processes. It also stimulates their metabolism, plays an important part in the formation of red and white blood cells and of vitamin D, and promotes the secretion of hormones necessary for growth and reproduction' (2002).

7. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    very informative.

I too could watch them dust bathe all day, don't know what it is, I just sense such joy from them when they partake in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by