Bath Time!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lydia&Andrew, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    OK ..... so our 4 ladies haven't quite started using their perch for sleeping yet ...... instead the seem to prefer sleeping in the fresh poos they do through the night. We clean them out every morning of course, but they're ending up with mucky bums!! Yesterday we gave them their first bath to wash their bottoms!! They've never been over-keen on being handled, but they are getting more used to us as time goes by. However, they were REALLY calm when being washed with warm water and so calm they almost went into a trance when they were being "blow dried" with the hairdryer!!! They LOVED it!!!!

Now, if only we could train them NOT to sleep where they poop!!!

2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    The first time we bathed a chicken, we thought we'd done him in. He got so calm, he fell asleep, all hunched over. I had to keep his head up out of the water so he didn't drown. The kids were hopping around the bathroom in a panic, crying that we'd killed him. He perked up with the towel-rub, then konked out again with the blow-drying. Very funny day, in retrospect. Not at all funny at the time.

3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Ha! That's too funny. I recently moved my 5 bantams into their new 4x8 coop and I have one long roost running the length of the house and put up the left over 12 inch by 3 foot board from the pop door. I put it to the far left of the roost and don't you know, it only took them 4 days to ALL start sleeping there. This morning there was lots o' poop on the shelf. Oh, well. They're happy hens and I really don't need that shelf anyway. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by