bathed a buff chick's butt because of poo and it looks irritated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    [​IMG]

But it looks like the poo was just sticking to her fluff, anything to worry about?

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Looks like you got it clean. Just keep it warm and check often so that the poo cannot build up if it starts sticking again. I have tried carefully trimmed the fluffy bottom feathers to keep poo from sticking to it.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some ointment will soothe the irritation and also hopefully help future poops from sticking so badly. vaseline or Neosporin are good, but you can also use someething like cooking oil

4. ShortAnda

ShortAnda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Maybe try putting some diaper rash ointment or oil of some kind on it. Perhaps sunscreen? Maybe it will keep the poo from sticking. I've trimmed off their fuzz around their bottoms before and that seems to help.

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Thanks for the replies everyone. She seems chipper this morning, put a bit of olive oil on her butt as a preventive. I was just uncertain if we had a pasty butt starting. But nothing came out when we soaked her, and when we pushed on her bottom she didn't seem to care. Chestnut thanks you for your replies!

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Looks good to me. Just keep an eye on it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    X2!

8. ShamanRawb

ShamanRawb New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I have a similar problem. I was wondering if I used neosporin if I had to remove her from the group? One of the bigger chicks had pecked at her butt, but seems to have stopped. I have been watching them closely.
    I just want her to heal, but she gets ****** if I separate her.
    Thanks

9. ShortAnda

ShortAnda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Shaman,

I personally would get rid of any chicks that are picking on others immediately. I don't think neosporin would be a problem but if she's red and irritated you might use some diaper rash ointment because the creamy white paste will hide the irritation and might help keep others from picking.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I like olive oil on chick butts myself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by