1. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Can i wash my chickens with my shampoo

2. I wouldnt wash them with shampoo just water is fine though!

3. barredbeans7

Apr 28, 2012
    My chickens have lice and mites so I don't know what to do

4. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Get 3 wash tubs. Put 1 tsp of Dawn dish soap in one with warm water, and just plain warm water in the other two. Scrub them in the first one, especially around the vent area if they have mites. Then put them in one for rinsing and again in the other for rinsing to be sure you get all the soap off. Afterwards dust with Seven dust, that will kill the mites.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use poultry dust for mites/lice, but I have also used *kitten* shampoo and bathed some that had mites/lice, that killed all of the bugs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you do bathe them, you'll need to blow dry them!

7. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Actually, you are only supposed to blow dry frizzles and Silkies. Anything else do not blow dry as that can cause brittle feathers.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Never heard that before... I haven't bathed many, but I have had to blow dry a bunch that fell into water buckets and their feathers were just fine. Personally, I dust and that's what I would recommend. A bird with mites and lice might be anemic and the added stress of bathing and either blow drying or air drying and getting hypothermic is probably not a wise thing to do. Curiously, is there any place on the web that has the proper procedure for washing poultry?

9. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    You want to use a mild soap/shampoo, so you don't strip their feathers of oil. We use baby shampoo when we're getting our chooks ready for shows. I'm thinking that regular adult shampoo would be pretty hard on feathers.

Angela

10. barredbeans7

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanku all! Tommorow I will do what u have suggested. Thanku again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by