Bathing a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tadpole98, Jan 10, 2013.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I really need to bathe mine. I went outside to find two chicks that were a day old running around. Turns out a red star brooded outside under a wheelbarrow and desserted the two chicks when they hatched. I took them inside and after not even five minutes i put them back and had these little black bugs crawling all over me. [​IMG] they are infested with them.
    So if i cant bathe them? How can i get rid of these bugs?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Okay, I've never had this problem and I remember reading you can use a Seven dust (5% I think) on chickens for bugs but I don't know about using it on babies. Yikes! Hope you get an answer soon.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    X 2 Sevin dust is good. Just watch out for their eyes and mouths. And do it ASAP! Bugs can kill little ones. And find their mom and dust her too. And the coop and the rest of your flock... But do the babies first.
    If you decide to bath them (that would also help) put a drop or 2 of flea shampoo in warm (not hot, ±100*) water and get them under a heat source immediately after taking them out of the water. I've had chicks get wet and they were fine afterwards, but it's important that they don't get chilled.

4. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    ... I will dust them, but i also have good news that i found them momma.
    I went outside this morning and had one hen go check under her wheelbarrow but then came out all sad so she look everywhere else calling for them.
    I would like to see her raise these chicks so i brought them outside and laid them down and walked away so she couldnt see me. I watched her from afar. when she saw them she got into broody mode again and called them, so they came to her.
    i got her a little place so she can have the chicks to herself, but i couldnt catch her so i will tonight.

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sweet! [​IMG] Mommy is the best! But please tackle her and them with the poultry dust a.s.a.p. I've seen myself what bugs can do to them. I sprayed our chick pen for mites and other bugs once and put the chicks in there, expecting it to be fine... Turns out the spray I used (a well known brand used for poultry and pet and household use) didn't do squat and my chicks got infested with fleas. I ended up losing 2 of them [​IMG] I adored those 2 little ones and I was very upset.
    Wait until it's dark and grab them and mom and give them a good treatment. and the rest of your flock and their housing. If her chicks got them, they got them from mom and if she's got them, you can bet it's everywhere. Good luck!

6. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Okay, can do! Thanks :)
    instead of 7 dust can i use DE?

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    To be honest I've heard people say DE doesn't work as well as Sevin, but I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say. If you can't get Sevin ask at your local feedstore or farming supply store for a poultry dust. With an infestation this bad you need big guns! Go with a product that will work and work well.

8. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Im worried about how strong the seven dust will be, i have heard its really poisonous. :/

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It is, and is outlawed against use in poultry.

Use wood ash. I've found it very similar in effectiveness to sevin, but much less dangerous.

10. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by