1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathing chickens? Can or should you?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by youngwagon, Apr 9, 2011.

1. youngwagon

youngwagon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Wayne County, IN
    [​IMG] Okay, now this may seem as a dumb question but,,,,,,Can you give a chicken a bath, or should you for that matter? 2 of my girls are covered in mud (dang rain) and look absolutely disgusting. Is it safe to give them a bath? Any particular type of shampoo?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I bathed my silkie that was shipped to me earlier in the week. She had lots of poo stuck in her fluff. It was pretty easy, just make sure you don't get any water or soap around their eyes/nose. I used a liquid oatmeal soap by aveeno. It was the only gentle soap I had. There are some really good youtube videos on how to bathe a chicken, thats where I went to find out how.

3. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] And don't get any in their ears either, they can get REALLY sick.

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I give my chickens baths all the time. I use oatmeal puppy shampoo. It's really fun [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. youngwagon

youngwagon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Wayne County, IN
    Thank you! My wife has a similar soap, heading to you tube now,,,,,thanks again

6. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    My birds let me bathe them, blow dry too! Here are some photos of my bantam cochin C.C..... They don't have t be raised up being bathed, I once rescued a factory hen, where you know they are not treated well, and she LOVED her bath!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and here she is all fluffy after her blow dry!
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. jodeep

jodeep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Aww, those bath pics are great!!

I have wondered it was ok as well. Right now I only have chicks, but I have a white leghorn who can't seem to stay clear of the poo! Maybe when she's bigger we'll have to introduce her to bathtime! [​IMG]

8. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    i bath mine i just use baby shampoo or any shampoo that is tear free than i towel dry them and than blow dry have them sit in my room my parents dont like chickens in my room tho lol. i love it and than lat them dry and dont release them to coop if they are not dry to get them ready so they wont go into shock i open my windows every hour so they get useds to the outsid temp.

9. sneakers

sneakers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    Silkies double in size after a bath. Their fathers poof! I use on my show birds a gentle baby shampoo, a clean water rinse, and then a dunk in watered down woolite as a final rinse! Of course a good towl dry!

1 person likes this.
  10. Chickenfur

Chickenfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    On Earth :)
    I bathed mine once for a show, lol look what they looked like afterward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by