Bathing chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BayCityBabe, Aug 14, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I need to give my new silkies a "real" bath. To be blunt: they smell like cow poop. I took a damp towel and wiped their feet off and that did not work.
    What type of soap should I use? I have dog/flea shampoo, but am afraid that it might contain too strong an insecticide. I also have some organic baby soap.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    a lot of people use baby shampoos so your baby soap should probably work fine.

3. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    i use a little dawn and then some cream rinse they come out clean and fresh and then of course i blow them dry....yesterday they bathed all day in the rain.....lol [​IMG]

4. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    i used my own fructis shampoo on my silkies. then i towel dried, a bit of low heat hair dryer and then let them sit under the heat lamp. they looked beautiful and their skin is not dry. of course, last night i saw two roosting over the other three, so I'm sure they're poopy again.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I've heard of people using baby shampoo, and dog flea shampoo. If you use the dog flea shampoo, just make sure to rinse very well.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would use the baby shampoo before anything else. I just feel its probably safer.
    Towel dry, outside when they are completely dry. And it probably goes without saying, prevent them from drafts while drying.
    My two cents.[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Use dawn dish soap. It's what wild bird rescuers use after oil spills. I know this because when my daughter was little she decided to help mommy by "misting" my cockatiel with a spray bottle of murphy's oil soap . Dawn is what the vet told me to use. Make sure it's the blue Dawn.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by