1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bathing for a show tommorrow! BATH FINISHED & SUCCESSFUL

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaneKim, May 1, 2009.

1. LaneKim

LaneKim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    Hey guys maybe you can help me i only found a couple of posts about how to bathe your chickens and they were only kind of helpful..... I am bringing my buff cockerel to show tomorrow and he neeeeeds a bath i was intending to do it yesterday but time slipped away... that is (I layed around too long! In my defense I am sick!) Thank goodness its not that swineflu though... anyway im not quite sure if i can get away eith just regular soap not baby or dog shampoo [​IMG] and i only have me myself and i to help with it can i do it by myself? i also only have one outdoor industrial sink to do it in no 2 tubs to rinse and wash seperatley...can you guys help??? perferably soon!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. The Chicken Man

The Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Here is an article from the The Poultry Club of Great Britain:

http://www.poultryclub.org/SHprepjh.htm

I found it to be very informative. I've also heard coconut oil is helpful while scrubbing.

Hope it helps! Good luck at the show.

3. The Chicken Man

Apr 27, 2009
    Baby Shampoo should be fine. Remember to scrub carefully and keep the bird dry!

4. LaneKim

LaneKim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Del Rio
    hey chicken man thanks a lot that article really helped... i ran outta waiting time so i went ahead and proceeded with the bath....it went great it was quite halarious but it worked fine i used a clear plastic storage bin that was in the bath tub with a 5 gallon bucket in the bin all filled 1/2 way with warm water well he didnt exactly fit in the bucket..... [​IMG] it was definetly toooooooo small [​IMG] just picture a buff orpingtons butt and neck hanging out of a small white bucket on either end!!! pretty funny we are putting the pick up for pic of the week its so great id post it but its on my mothers cell phone. Anyway thanks alot

5. The Chicken Man

Apr 27, 2009
    Great! I'm glad it worked for you. Tell us all how the show goes for you! Buff Orps are great chickens. Good luck!

The Chicken Man

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    good luck! mine love baths!

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by