Bathing meat chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by henjoy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    My granddaughter is raising meat chickens for the fair this year for the first time. Though we have been diligent about keeping their bedding and coop clean, they still are a bit dingy on their breast area and tail feathers. I know that these birds are quite fragile and I am wondering how she can clean them for exhibition at the fair. Any ideas?? Thanks so much.

2. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Here's a nice How-To

http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-a-Chicken

We were able to find a former 4-H person, now a veterinary technician, who came over and gave us a hands-on tutorial. We found her though our county 4-H extension office. They were very helpful.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Keep the water very lukewarm - too warm/hot will make their feathers fall out - not good.

Also, you can buy that "bluing" stuff in the laundry section and add a couple drops to the final rinse - do not put directly on your chickens - it dyes them blue and you cannot wash it out. (Go ahead - laugh now and ask me how I know).

You could start bluing them every day - it really whitens them up a lot. Also, use a very mild soap like baby shampoo and make sure you rinse them well.

4. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    I really appreciate the info. I'll CAREFULLY try bathing our fair birds. Thanks again!!

5. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    If you can get the "raising fancy poultry" 4H book, that has a section on bathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by