Bathing Silkies & Liquid Glycerine

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Does anybody here use Liquid Glycerine in their silkies final rinse water? I heard that it will make the feathers on the bird more poofy. Cant remember where I read it though.

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Mine are about ready for a bath. [​IMG]

3. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    There is an amazing tutorial on here, look under "silkie bath" and theres a tutorial with many pictures that explains the process.

4. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Quote:I've used it when I washed some of my birds before. But they weren't silkies. I could really see where it helped. I have not heard of it making feathers more poofy.

David

5. SundownWaterfowl

If it doesnt make the feathers more "poofy", then what does it do to them?

6. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    It's supposed to put the natural oils back into the feathers and on white birds help with their silvery appearance.

David

7. HazyDayHollands

HazyDayHollands Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Maine
    I know this post is old but I am fairly new here. Did anyone use the liquid glycerine? Is it just for white birds or can colored Silkies benefit as well?

8. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've heard of people rubbing oil into their hands and then stroking all over their regular feathered birds to make them look shinier. Dunno about silkies though....

yet.. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I use it now when I bathe my silkies. After I rinse the soap off and they are still damp, I take a little drop or two and rub it around my hands, then rub it onto the birds.

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I use it now when I bathe my silkies. After I rinse the soap off and they are still damp, I take a little drop or two and rub it around my hands, then rub it onto the birds.

Chelsea, does it indeed make them more poofy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by