Bathing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NakedNeck, May 16, 2009.

1. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    How do you go about getting your chicken used to being bathed? What kind of shampoo is needed just for a simple bath?

Thanks for any feedback! [​IMG]

2. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I'd love to give my chickies a bath! (boy do they get dirty) I want to know how too. The problem is that I didn't raise them from chicks and they are a bit scared of me. Or maybe I'm a bit scared of them...pecking sounds like it hurts.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't raise show birds, so I don't see any reason to bathe them. They dustbathe daily and once they stand up and shake off the dust they look just fine to me.

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    ive aquired some abused/stinky silkies in the past that smelled like rotten you know what.
    I bathed them in luke warm water & as for soap, i used a little bit of baby shampoo. came
    out clean as ever !! god luck & have fun !!!

5. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Thank you for everyone's replies [​IMG]

6. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Do you put them in your bathtub? or do you use a bucket of some sort? how do you get them to like a bath?

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

As mentioned, baby shampoo is good. Also dog shampoo. Add a tsp of vinigar to shine them up. Used warm water, on a warm morning and a 5 gal bucket. Bathe in the AM so they have a day to dry. They calm down pretty quick in the warm water and most seem to enjoy the experience......Pop

8. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    I just use human shampoo.[​IMG]

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I got some silkies that smelled like horse doo. I used Dr. Bronner soap - which is our family soap - very mild. I think any mild soap is fine. Make sure they are kept warm as they are drying.

10. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    as far as where ive bathed mine, i used a large pot, then again silkies are on the smaller side & mine are pretty little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by